Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning


Title: Bloodfever (Fever #2) 

Author: Karen Marie Moning 

Rating: 4/5 Stars

After reading yet another absolutely fantastic addition to this riveting sequel, I have come to the conclusion that Moning is a ninja. Yes, she is. She is so well versed in the skill of revealing what seems like absolutely everything while actually revealing nothing that I am in complete awe of her. With this excited sequel to Darkfever, Moning has amped up the action, the stakes, the danger, and - you guessed it - the attraction. Everything about Bloodfever is that much better, that much more addictive, and leaves you with that many more questions floating around in your mind as you read and finish this book.

Bloodfever picks up roughly a week or so after the events that ended Darkfever, leaving Mac with the knowledge of who murdered her sister. Now, Mac is more determined than ever to find the Sinsar Dubh, but a plethora of obstacles stand in her way. For one, Inspector O'Daffy is becoming increasingly curious about the Dark Zones and wondering why Mac hasn't returned home, Rocky O'Bannion's brother appears to investigate the true cause of his brother's death, Malluce's death is still vastly uncertain, a mysterious specter seems to following Mac wherever she goes, and Mac finds that she is still not even close to becoming a top player in the dangerous game that is quickly becoming her life.

I absolutely love the plot of these novels. Not only are they fast-paced page-turners, they also leave you in suspense and only increase the amount of questions you are left with. In most cases, I think I would find this extremely irritating, but Moning writes in such a manner that I think I am gleaning information, but really I am just taking one step forward and going two steps back - it's brilliant, edgy, and has me hooked onto this series. Furthermore, the characters take on a life of their own within these books. Although this remains to be a paranormal/urban fantasy genre, each and every one of Moning's characters behave realistically and have their own agenda's, needs, and inner demons to fight.

Most importantly though, I love what Moning has done with Mac's character. Despite the traumatic events that Mac was forced to face in Darkfever, she still retains much of her happy-go-lucky personality. However, as the novel progresses, we slowly see this begin to change Mac into someone who is tougher, stronger, and far more kick-ass than we imagined. I love that Mac's change is gradual and although she is forced to adapt to survive to the new predicaments she is forced to face, she also manages to retain some of her own individuality as well.

Bloodfever introduces us to a whole new world of Fae lore which is very cleverly crafted and conveyed to the reader. In addition, we see some of the old characters we have grown to love in Darkfever return as well. Seelie prince V'lane's intentions are still murkily unclear and Jericho Barrons remains as enigmatic as ever. However, despite the harsh and often brutal light that Barrons is portrayed in, there remains to be a quality about his character that not only makes him irresistible, but also makes him strangely trustworthy, dependent, and kind in his own way. The chemistry between Mac and Barrons is undeniable and completely off the charts and even when these two are simply arguing and flinging their flirty banter across the room, it is hard not to keep that crazy grin off my face. I love these two and I can't wait to see the direction their relationship is heading.

All in all, Bloodfever was a phenomenal addition to Moning's Fever Series. I've already begun Faefever and I can tell you that this series keeps getting better and better with each installment. The crucial lessons that Mac learns from her endeavors in this novel are carried over and change her in the sequel and I'm in awe of the effortless manner in which Moning develops her complex cast. I would highly recommend this series to any urban fantasy lover and if nothing else, I'd encourage you to never go to Ireland without a handy pack of flashlights! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Guitar Lessons Online: Learn and Master Guitar: How to improve the way you play guitar. bass guitar scales mel bay guitar chord chart book guitar pick earrings martin guitars under 1000 dollars fender guitars models guitars and tiki bars kenny chesney video guitar pickups height martin guitars saiten For chords, a letter above or below the tab staff denotes the root note of the chord." This friend of mine moved away and perhaps 11 months after he left, while speaking over the phone, he suddenly told me that he had taught himself 'Police Dog'. The fact that a 'lesser' player had taught himself this classic was difficult to take. I grabbed my instrument and learned how to play the song in around 3 days. This isn't a testimony to my talents, but rather more an indictment of my faulty way of thinking. Most musicians have quite a lot of of arrogance, and often, a large ego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the first book, but BLOODFEVER has me hooked. Ms Moning, please keep them coming - and fast!

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Goshen NY Maid Service visit site

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in remission of HEY FEVER for many years by myself treatment using large doses drugs by various prescription going to hospital and different places looking for cure and still there was no solution . untill i saw different testimonies about doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine in the internet how he cures peoples with their different sickness with his herbalism i have to contact him for a trial through his email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com we discuss and he assure me that, he will prepare my medicine and sent it to me through UPS dilivery so will both agreed on one price. the next very week i received the package he send to me, and instruct me on how to use it and also ask me to go back for test after taking it for weeks also i should have little faith when taking it. i encourage myself follow up with the instruction when taking the herbal medicine for two weeks and the third weeks i went to hospital for another test and report is that am totally free and really is making two years now i sick hey fever no more and no any other sickness with these i so much appreciate doctor Akhigbe u are bless and your herbal medicine is real. He also cure diseases like; HIV/AIDS ,HERPES ,ALS ,CANCER ,EPILEPSY ,LASSA FEVER ,ASTHMAN, NOROVIRUS ,JOINT PAIN ,DIABETIES ,RABIES ,HEPATITIES A AND B.in case there is any one out there who needs his help can also email him at drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatapp him on +2348142454860

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello everyone on this page I want to us this opportunity to share my testimony to you all on how i was able to conceive with the help of a herbal medicine after 7 year of been married without having a child, Me and my husband have been to so many hospital to know what exactly is stopping me from getting pregnant and the result always show that I’m fine that nothing is wrong with me, And it gets to a time when i started getting frustrated with everything happening to me which almost lead to divorce because there was no happy moment in our married anymore, one day I was reading some review online that is when i come across some ladies sharing a similar situation and how they end up getting pregnant with the of using a herbal medicine they order from a man called Dr Nogopko healing temple, i immediately took the herbal Dr info from their testimony because i can’t wait to have a child of my own and to god be the glory i order mine and i also become pregnant with twins a boy and girl.

    i want to say thank you once again Dr nogokpo for you have bring back happiness to our home again with the help of your powerful herbal medication i will forever be grateful.

    The may reason i share my testimony here is to help some of you ladies that is also going through similar situation trying to conceive to have a fast solution to their problem. His email address is 🙁 nogokposh@gmail.com ) his Whatapp ON ; +233 24 095 7817 .give him a try and thank me later.



    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.