Sunday, December 16, 2012

Showcase Sunday (#19)

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

For Review: 
pic name pic name
pic name
pic name
Unsurprisingly, this series just keeps getting better and better! I loved this new installment even more than the previous ones and am counting down till Origin, the fourth novel (mostly because of that EVIL cliffhanger ending!). You can check out my review HERE
Although Level 2 and I had a bit of a rough beginning, I was captivated by this tale. It's unique, well-written, and has some of the most complex characterization I've come across in a debut. I should have my review up closer to the release date! 
I've heard SO much about this one, so I'm very excited to start it. I love the cover and could probably just stare at it all day, to be honest!(; 
I saw this on NG and couldn't resist requesting it. It looks like such a fun, adorable, and quirky read, so I'm hoping to sneak this in over my holiday break. (One more week of classes left...urgh!) 

Borrowed: 
pic name pic name pic name
I seem to have been on a historical romance streak with these books. I read them all in a week and I loved them! The Hathaways is a phenomenal series in this genre and even if you're not a fan of this genre, I'd encourage you to give it a shot. It converted me for sure! ;) It has a LOT more depth than its covers would lead you to believe and it's simply a wonderful series overall, romance aside. You can check out my reviews HERE, HERE, and HERE
pic name pic name pic name
My mom and I have been eagerly waiting to read this book ever since the hype about it started trickling in, but we totally despaired since we were both in the 100s on our library waiting list. Well, it turns out we've gotten an early Christmas gift since our library finally called to tell us it was here, so after my mom reads this, I'm next in line! ;)
I loved Anna and the French Kiss and with the release of Isla and the Happily Ever After looming ahead, I desperately need to tear into this one. I can't wait! 
King first earned fame with Please Excuse Vera Dietz, a novel I still have to read, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy this. I'm more than a little curious to sample her famed writing! 
pic name pic name pic name
I love, love, LOVED Martinez's debut, Virtuosity, so I can't wait to read this one! :D
Well, this is the last Stiefvater series I have to try, so I'm hoping I fall in love with it like I did with The Scorpio Races and The Raven Boys. *fingers crossed* 
Yet another novel both my mom and I have heard a LOT about and were pleasantly surprised to find waiting for us in the library. I'm really excited for this one, especially since it's a fantasy! 
pic name pic name pic name
I loved Juliet Marillier's Heart's Blood, a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this re-telling of Sleeping Beauty. It's gotten some excellent ratings, so I'm excited to start it. 
Ilona Andrews...need I say more? I absolutely devoured The Kate Daniels Series by this husband-wife duo earlier this year, so I'm eager to check out their other series, which I hear has a bit more romance and is set in the same, intriguing futuristic universe. 
I was actually drawn to this book because of its cover alone. I mean, just LOOK at it! It's gorgeous, with the blues and the paintbrush-like image. From the reviews I've read, it seems to be just as good as its cover promises, so I'm curious to start this one. 

AudioBooks: 
Well, it turns out my first audiobook was a success! I tried Feed by Mira Grant on audio earlier this year, but was disappointed. I loved this one though and it's my favorite of the series as well, simply because it's so much more complex, deeper, and bittersweet than the other tales in this series. Needless to say, it's VERY highly recommended from me. You can check out my review HERE

Traded: 
If you follow me on GoodReads, you'll know that I fell head-over-heels in love with Marillier's first novel in this series, Daughter of the Forest. I proceeded to trade for the second book at once, but it seems to have been lost in the mail for awhile...until now! It just arrived on my doorstep yesterday and I couldn't have been happier. I'm thrilled to be back in Marillier's world and, truly, if you haven't read this author, you're missing out. 


I successfully resisted from buying any books for myself this week, but on my next Showcase Sunday post, be prepared to see my entire Christmas Haul! ;) What books did you get this week? Link me up! :D

16 comments:

  1. I hope you love Lament, this series is my favorite of hers. I love AS King! You need to read Dust of 100 Dogs, its awesome! I have Ask the Passengers but haven't read it yet.
    I'm dying for The Space Between Us, I loved her writing in Virtuosity.
    I cannot wait to read Going Vintage!!!!
    Epic book week girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm so absolutely excited for Lovely, Dark and Deep! I've heard that the writing is absolutely wonderful. LOLA <3 <3 <3 I'm quite curious about The Space Between Us; I really enjoyed Virtuosity too! I can't wait to see your review for these, Keertana! Happy reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where to begin with this mammoth haul?!! I have Opal on its way to me, I can't wait. Lovely, Dark, and Deep was a Wow for me, so dying for that. A new Ilona Andrews series?!! I'm loving Kate Daniels, so I MUST read this too! Lola and the Boy Next Door is lovely! Cricket!! Enjoy your mountain of reads, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow an amazing haul Keertana! I absolutely loved Gone Girl, it's a bit tough to get into but will certainly keep you riveted. Lola and the Boy Next Door I loved too, it was a super cute read that you can curl up to with this crappy weather outside. I have copies of Opal and A Long Long Sleep I can't wait to get to them! Hold Still and Space Between Us are two other books I've been dying to read, once again I will have to be stalking your updates! Also Ask the Passengers has the most gorgeous cover ever! I will have to add it to the tbr! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, so glad you enjoyed Level 2! I'm looking forward to reading your review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to hear that Level 2 is good, because I'm very excited about it :D Going Vintage looks quirky indeed. I didn't love Lament, but Ballad was much better :) A long, long sleep is AMAZING. I loved that book! And Son of shadows (L) I love everything Marillier writes and this series is so perfect.

    Happy reading and I love your haul :D We have a similar taste based on the books you've got :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm envious about Going Vintage. ;) Bloomsbury still hasn't responded to my request yet! Level 2 and Ask the Passengers both sound fantastic, and I've heard great things about A.S King's books (especially Please Ignore Vera Dietz). Lovely Dark and Deep has one of my all-time favourte covers. *sigh* It has a particular serene beauty that I love. Amazig haul, Kee! :) Enjoy all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lament! Lament! Lament! Ohhh, Luke Dillon. I really hope you'll like it, Keertana, I loved that book so much. I'll be reading The Space Between Us soon, I loved Virtuosity so hopefully I'll love that too.
    I also adored The Long, Long Sleep, the beginning was a bit rough but I ended up loving it.
    Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh! So much awesome :D I also have a copy of Level 2. <3 Finished UK copy, signed :D Ahhh. Cannot wait to read it. <3 Hope you enjoy everything ;)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't fall in love with Lament - not the same way I did with The Scorpio Races and The Raven Boys. Actually, it was quite similar to my experience with the Wolves of Mercy Falls books, but not bad overall. :) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Level 2! I was pretty excited about it at one point but then did a complete 180. I hope my fears of a love triangle aren't confirmed...

    Wonderful haul, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another huge haul here, Keertana. I think I forget half the books you have by the time I get to the bottom too.

    Oooh, The Killing Moon, by friend bought me that for my birthday. Still haven't read it, but I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

    And Going Vintage. I'm jealous. I really wanted to read that one, but living in the UK I can't request it from NG because I think the publishers is for US only requests. I'll look out for your review though.

    I'll be looking out for your thoughts on Level 2 when you eventually publish your review.

    Great haul as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic haul! I love how you and your mom shares the passion for reading. I can only hope that my daughter will get into all these YA books sooner than later. :)

    Have a lovely week, Keertana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started reading Level 2 today and.... couldn't really get into it, so I set it aside and read another book. But after reading you say it gets better.... dangit, I think I'm going to have to give it another try :D

    Man, I keep seeing people rave about Opal EVERYWHERE. I'm kind of regretting not having read Onyx yet! Also: LOLA!!!! Anna remains my favourite but I still ADORE this and ISLA ISLA ISLA. So effing excited!

    It's been ages since I read Lament. I remember enjoying it, but it's not my favourite Maggie book. Definitely read Ballad, regardless of how you feel about Lament. LOVE! James <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. *gasp*
    SOMEONE HAS A LONG, LONG SLEEP IN THEIR BOOK HAUL! My day is made. I've always felt A Long, Long Sleep is one of the underrated, hidden gems in YA literature, and I'm glad you picked it up.

    I still need to read Gone Girl...I've had mine for like six months now. *sigh*

    And A.S. King's Ask the Passengers! I have a copy on hold at the library. Now if I would get off my lazy butt to pick it up.

    Happy Reading!
    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah, what an awesome collection.

    I've been meaning to read 'A Long Long Sleep' but just haven't found the time, hope you enjoy it though...how good does the premise sound, right? :)

    Also, Juliet Marillier is such a great writer!

    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, Dark and Deep is absolutely beautiful. Such beautiful language and a lovely story. I want more people to read it and love it! Hope you enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.